Sunday, March 1, 2009

Banana Pancakes

After last night's festivities, I definitely needed some hearty pancakes this morning! Along with our tea, I whipped up some whole wheat pancakes with bananas, walnuts, and unsweetened coconut. I smothered mine in a little spiced vanilla butter and maple syrup from our "grand sampler" selection.


Here's the basic recipe for my whole wheat pancakes. You can add in whatever extras and flavorings you like. Fruit, nuts, spices, granola. For today's pancakes I added sliced bananas, chopped walnuts, unsweetened dried coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little vanilla extract.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs toasted wheat germ
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
1 cup skim milk

Serving: makes about 6 5" pancakes
  • Heat griddle to 375º
  • Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and wheat germ
  • Add beaten egg
  • In separate bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk
  • Add milk mixture to batter and mix to combine.  Don't over mix - you should have some small lumps in batter
  • Heat oven to 175º
  • Coat griddle in butter or cooking spray.  Ladle about 1/2 cup of batter onto griddle, spacing pancakes about 2" apart.  Cook until bubbles on top of pancakes begin to burst, about 2 - 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on bottom, about 1 -2 minutes more.
  • Keep pancakes warm in oven on heatproof plate while cooking the rest.
That's it! They're quite tasty and filling - and good for you! Making pancakes from scratch is really not much more work than using a mix. Just requires a few more measurements. And its so worth it!

I'm now finishing off my tea and sitting on hold with Amex travel AND Virgin America. It looks like we're getting a TON of snow tonight, so I'm trying to switch my flight to LA from tomorrow morning to this afternoon. But it sounds like that will be expensive - so no idea when I'm leaving at this point!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment