Monday, October 12, 2009

Summer is Gone

Summer is officially over. The leaves are turning golden colors, our CSA pick-ups have finished for the season, and tonight we ate our last 2 ears of corn. The corn had actually been sitting in our fridge for over a week, so I decided to cook it up in a pudding instead of eating it straight off the cob. I also have a drawer full of chili peppers from the CSA that I have not used at all.


I incorporated the peppers by roasting them first to bring out the smoky flavor.  


I tasted little bits of each after roasting them and they were HOT. I only ended up using about half a chili because I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food. I also added some sharp cheddar cheese to the pudding, to give it a Southwestern flavor.


I complemented these end of summer flavors with some very fall ones, and served the corn pudding with a salad of roasted butternut squash, walnuts, and blue cheese in a pomegranate vinaigrette.


Chili Corn Pudding
2 ears of corn, kernels cut from cob
1 - 2 chili peppers
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 450º

Roast chili peppers in oven until soft and lightly charred, about 15 minutes. Remove stems and seeds and finely chop chilis.

Reduce oven to 350º

In a medium bowl, mix corn kernels with chopped chilis to taste, 1 - 1 1/2 chilis depending on heat. Add egg, cream, cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Butter 2 small ramekins and pour in corn mixture until it just reaches the top. Place ramekins in a small baking dish and fill dish with water, until it comes about half way up the ramekins.

Bake in oven about 40 - 45 minutes, until pudding is just set and lightly browned on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment