For spices, I coated the chickpeas in Garam Masala, a warm and spicy blend that I thought would nicely compliment the sweet, buttery chickpeas.
My mother gave me this bottle - and made a detailed ingredient list - from a bulk order from the Atlantic Spice Company. This place is amazing - they sell huge quantities of herbs, spices, and nuts for very cheap.
While the chickpeas roasted, I chopped a large bunch of swiss chard to saute and top with shrimp.
I was very pleased with this dish. The crunchy, slightly sweet chickpeas and bitter chard were a perfect match along with succulent sauteed jumbo shrimp. I served the dish over brown rice, but you really don't need to. Its quite substantial on its own!
Garam Masala Roasted Chickpeas with Swiss Chard and Shrimp
1 can organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed well, and patted dry
3 Tbs EVOO, divided
1 tsp Garam Masala
8 - 10 jumbo wild American shrimp
2 cloves minced garlic
1 large bunch of swiss chard, washed well and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 cup cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven 425º
- Toss chickpeas with 1 Tbs EVOO and Garam Masala. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast chickpeas for 30 - 35 minutes until golden and crisp on the outside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs EVOO in large saute pan over medium heat. Saute shrimp until just pink and cooked. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tbs EVOO to saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add swiss chard and saute until just cooked and all liquid has cooked off.
- Toss swiss chard with roasted chickpeas.
- Scoop half a cup of cooked brown rice onto 2 plates, and top with chickpea and chard. Return cooked shrimp to hot saute pan and toss just to warm up.
- Top dish with shrimp and serve.