Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Crispy Chicks and Chard

Last night I experimented with a new recipe that seems to be sweeping the blog world - roasted chickpeas. I've been reading about and seeing gorgeous pictures of buttery chickpeas coated with herbs and spices and roasted to a golden crispness. These would be wonderful served on their own as a party snack, but I decided to incorporate them into a main dish. And of course I needed to get some of my CSA greens in!

For spices, I coated the chickpeas in Garam Masala, a warm and spicy blend that I thought would nicely compliment the sweet, buttery chickpeas.

My mother gave me this bottle - and made a detailed ingredient list - from a bulk order from the Atlantic Spice Company. This place is amazing - they sell huge quantities of herbs, spices, and nuts for very cheap.

While the chickpeas roasted, I chopped a large bunch of swiss chard to saute and top with shrimp.

I was very pleased with this dish. The crunchy, slightly sweet chickpeas and bitter chard were a perfect match along with succulent sauteed jumbo shrimp. I served the dish over brown rice, but you really don't need to. Its quite substantial on its own!


Garam Masala Roasted Chickpeas with Swiss Chard and Shrimp
serves 2
1 can organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed well, and patted dry
3 Tbs EVOO, divided
1 tsp Garam Masala
8 - 10 jumbo wild American shrimp
2 cloves minced garlic
1 large bunch of swiss chard, washed well and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 cup cooked brown rice
  • Preheat oven 425ยบ
  • Toss chickpeas with 1 Tbs EVOO and Garam Masala.  Spread on large rimmed baking sheet.
  • Roast chickpeas for 30 - 35 minutes until golden and crisp on the outside.
  • Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs EVOO in large saute pan over medium heat.  Saute shrimp until just pink and cooked.  Set aside.
  • Add remaining 1 Tbs EVOO to saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add swiss chard and saute until just cooked and all liquid has cooked off.
  • Toss swiss chard with roasted chickpeas.
  • Scoop half a cup of cooked brown rice onto 2 plates, and top with chickpea and chard.  Return cooked shrimp to hot saute pan and toss just to warm up.
  • Top dish with shrimp and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment