Friday, July 31, 2009

Birthday Boy Dinner

Today celebrates the 109th anniversary of the birth of my betrothed!

**photo credit Scooter**


Looks good for his age, doesn't he?

For his birthday dinner he requested one of his favorites - Moules Frites!

I added some CSA fennel to my usual recipe - delicious! I also served the frites with some garlic bread for sopping up the mussel juices. Derek topped the frites with some of his ketchup.


The mussels were perfectly cooked - plump and juicy!

Dessert was a little bit of an experiment. Instead of making a whole pie (the birthday boy prefers pie to cake), I made 2 individual peach raspberry pies. I lined 2 8oz ramekins with pie crust, then filled them with chopped peaches and raspberries tossed with a little lemon juice, sugar, and a sprinkle of corn starch. THEN I topped the fruit of with 1 egg beaten with 1/2 cup milk and a little more sugar. So it was sort of a custard in a pie.

It was quite a successful experiment. Got a little messy, but it sure tasted good. Especially topped with vanilla ice cream.


Also worth noting...a few nights ago I tired to make a dent in our surplus of beets with this yummy pasta dish.

Steamy! I tossed some roasted golden beets with sauteed beet greens, goat cheese, toasted pecans and whole wheat pasta. Beets...its what's for dinner.

Tonight we'll be celebrating the birthday with friends.  It also happens to by Harry Potter's birthday today.  Appropriate, since my fiance is truly magical....



No comments:

Post a Comment