Friday, June 5, 2009

Donuts and Ketchup

Happy National Donut Day! Today Dunkin Donuts was giving away a free donut with every beverage purchase. So in honor of this national holiday, I decided to indulge in one of the most unclean snacks there is - a chocolate glazed donut!

I got the donut with a medium unsweetened iced tea and was literally shaking after. I'm not used to all that caffeine and sugar!  I hope I can sleep tonight.

I came home to find Derek hard at work in the kitchen, a rather unusual sight. He was inspired to make Jamie Oliver's ketchup recipe.

I thought it came out quite good, but he's not happy with it. He's going to continue to tweak the recipe. It was definitely more vinegary and sweeter than ketchup usually is - but too me, that wasn't a bad thing.

To compliment the ketchup I made black bean burgers and oven baked fries. These fries are great and so simple. You just julienne potatoes, toss them with EVOO,salt, and pepper, and roast them on 425ยบ until browned and crispy.



I also served some spring tabbouleh on the side.  But it was ALL about the ketchup.

1 comment:

  1. Derek's putting meat juice in that ketchup, you know. It's his revenge for feeding him that vegan food.

    ReplyDelete