Friday, June 19, 2009

Green Again

I'm back on the Green Monsters this week! I haven't had them in a few weeks and I'm so glad to have them back in my life. I feel so good starting my day with a big pile of nutritious greens. It makes me feel better about any dirty food choices I may make during the rest of the day - like ice cream filled cupcakes! But if those are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Dinner last night was yet another vegan meal. I've always made a lot of vegetarian dishes - not surprising when you don't eat meat - but I seem to be on a vegan kick lately. Maybe its the Spring and fresh produce that's making me want to make lighter dishes that really show off the fresh veggies.

Last night's meal was centered around some organic Vermont Soy artisan tofu. Usually when I cook with tofu, I freeze it and defrost it before using it. Freezing gives tofu a heartier texture, and helps it keep its shape better when its sauteed or roasted.


Orzo with Tofu and Spring Vegetables
serves 2
14 oz. firm organic tofu, pressed and chopped into 1" cubes
5 Tbs EVOO, divided
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs pure maple syrup
2 large cloves chopped garlic, divided
4 oz orzo
1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbs sesame tahini
1/8 cup toasted sliced almonds
  • Whisk together 2 Tbs EVOO, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and 1 clove garlic.
  • Toss mixture with tofu in a medium bowl and let marinade about 30 minutes.
  • Heat a large wok over medium-high heat.  Add 1 Tbs EVOO.
  • Remove tofu from marinade and saute in 2 batches until browned on all sides.  Set aside on a plate.
  • Meanwhile, cook orzo in medium pot of salted water until al dente.
  • Add 2nd clove chopped garlic to pan and saute 30 seconds.  Add asparagus to pan a saute until tender, about 4 minutes.  Add peas a cook and additional 1 - 2 minutes.
  • Toss cooked orzo in pan and remove from heat.
  • Whisk together 2 Tbs EVOO, lemon juice and tahini.  Toss with pasta mixture.
  • Serve and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment