I wanted to use them in a recipe that would really show off their mild oniony, sweet flavor. I turned them into a ramp pesto, which I tossed with grilled vegetables and fresh lemon pepper fettuccine from Russo's. I gave the pesto a bit of a Spanish touch by using Manchego cheese and Marcona almonds.
1 bunch fresh ramps
1/4 marcona almonds
1/4 shredded manchego cheese
1 clove chopped garlic
salt and pepper
1/4 cup EVOO
- Slice ramps and separate white stems from green leaves
- Saute stems in 1 Tbl of EVOO over medium-low heat until softened (do not brown)
- Add green leaves and saute for another minute
- Transfer ramps to food processor with almonds, cheese, garlic, and a little salt and pepper
- Process until finely chopped and well combined
- With motor running, pour in EVOO until combined
I manned the grill for the first time this year to grill up some zucchini, summer squash, vidalia onions, and Italian eggplant. They added the perfect smokey flavor to the peppery, garlicky pesto.