Monday, June 29, 2009

Corporate Challenge and More CSA

On Thursday I participated in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge here in Boston. Its a 3.5 mile race that starts in Boston Common, runs down Commonwealth Ave to Kenmore Square, and then back up Comm Ave to the Common. Lots of big companies participate and pay for their employees to run - proceeds this year went to Camp Haborview. We had a big group from my office. The race was huge - over 12,000 people ran! At the starting line we were told to line up according to our pace - there was a section for 5 minute milers, 6 minute, etc. My friends all wanted to get in the 6 minute mile section and I expected to totally get trampled - I'm closer to a 9! But it ended up being a good idea to start in the front because there were some serious bottlenecks in the back!




You can see the back of my head in the picture below.  I'm so glad I didn't get stuck in the group on the left!


Derek got some great shots from the Mass Ave bridge, including this video.



It actually didn't feel as crowded in the race as it looks in these pictures, but it was still pretty mobbed. I had fun and was happy with my time - according to the clocks at the finish line I ran the 3.5 miles 31:47, but I think it was actually a little faster than that!

This weekend we got another great supply of produce from our CSA! I spent Sunday afternoon making a huge batch of granola.

This time I used cashews, walnuts, and dried gogi berries, blueberries, cherries, apples and bananas. I couldn't stop munching on it while I let the sheets cool!

I tried to use as much of the CSA loot as possible in our dinner. I've found that I've been making a lot of savory tarts, quiches, and casseroles lately. These one dish meals are so easy, and I think they're a great way to turn a vegetable that would normally be a side dish into the main event.

Last night I made this goat cheese, beet, and walnut tart based on this recipe from Gordon Hamersley, whose amazing restaurant is right down the street from us. I wanted to lighten it a little bit, and didn't feel like making a tart crust, so I used a few layers on phyllo dough brushed with EVOO.

I used a mixture or red and golden beets and sprinkled chives from my herb garden over the top.

Delicious! And the best part is there's leftovers for the rest of the week.

On the side I made a salad with CSA arugula, Boston lettuce and strawberries tossed in a hazelnut vinaigrette made with chopped hazelnuts, champagne vinegar, lemon juice and EVOO.

A colorful meal made with practically all local food. I even picked up some local pasture fed eggs for the tart!

No comments:

Post a Comment