Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Found Bread

I haven't been talking much about my breakfasts and lunch this week. But really, how many bowls of oatmeal do you need to look at? But I have been eating pretty god lunches. My salads everyday have featured a new ingredient to me - wheatberries. The wheatberry is the entire kernel of the wheat - a true whole grain. They're cooked simmered in water for about an hour, and have a chewy texture. And they make my mid-day salads much more substantial.

This week, I mixed wheatberries with roasted golden beets, grape tomatoes, arugula, and ricotta salata.


Dinner tonight was simple and delicious. I made a savory Pain Perdu - which literally translates to "found bread." This is the real French version of french toast. Its called "found bread" because it is a way of taking old, stale pieces of bread and making them soft and appetizing.

I found this recipe in Gourmet magazine. The bread is cooked in a savory custard, and topped with a poached egg. I love a runny yolk on just about anything. I decided to serve the dish with roasted asparagus because that is also perfect dipped into a runny yolk.



Savory Parmesan Pain Perdu with Poached Eggs
adapted from Gourmet magazine
6 1" slices baguette
1 cup whole milk
pinch of nutmeg
3 large eggs, divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • Preheat oven to 400ยบ
  • Butter a shallow 1 quart baking dish 
  • Arrange bread in single layer in dish
  • Whisk together 1 egg, milk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper
  • Pour custard over bread, then sprinkle with grated cheese
  • Let stand until absorbed, 15 - 30 minutes
  • Dot with butter and bake until puffed and golden, 20 -25 minutes
  • Meanwhile, poach eggs to desired doneness (I like firm whites and runny yolks)
  • Divide pain perdu into 2 portions, and top with poached eggs
  • Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment