Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cupcakes and Pride

The last few days have been filled with some yummy food - and lots of pride!

Friday night I tired to pull another vegan meal over on Derek - this one didn't go as well. I thought it was delicious, but he wasn't crazy about the portabella and bulgar salad sandwiches. The portabellas replaced the bread, and they were filled with a salad made of bulgar, roasted vegetables, and a tomato vinaigrette. I served them open faced topped with avocado and arugula.
What's not to like about that?

Saturday morning I made a batch of blueberry, almond, and coconut whole wheat pancakes after a 4 mile run.


Then I walked down the street to check out the gay pride parade. It goes through the South End every year and its always quite an event. The atmosphere of the crowd is great - so fun and friendly.






I spent the afternoon working on my newest baking creation - ice cream filled cupcakes. I've been brainstorming flavor ideas and gave Derek a list to pick his favorites from. For my first batch he chose Strawberry Rhubarb. I used a strawberry cupcake recipe from Martha Stewart, and filled those with this amazing rhubarb ice cream I made from Sugarlaws. I topped them with a strawberry whipped cream made from 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup creme fraiche, and 1/2 cup of strained strawberry puree.



Delicious! The flavors were subtle and very natural. The only problem now is that I want to eat them all!

For dinner Saturday night I made fish tacos, breading the fish in panko mixed with cumin and baking the the fish instead of frying it. For toppings I made guacamole, chipotle cream, and a slaw made with chopped cabbage, cilantro, and lime juice.



Sunday brunch was more found bread. this time in the form of a Croque Madame. I made a sandwich with gruyere cheese and sliced tomato on rosemary garlic bread, the soaked it in custard and grilled the whole thing like a grilled cheese. Then I topped it with a fried egg.

Not a light Sunday morning meal but so good! I served it with half a sliced nectarine and blueberries and raspberries on the side.

For Sunday dinner I made a Jamie Oliver (my secret boyfriend) recipe- a tart made with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes and asparagus in phyllo dough.

I'm back on the green monsters this morning! I won't have much to show for food today because tonight is my company's anniversary party. I've been helping crank out multiple videos for the presentation, so hopefully all goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment