Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer Sunday

What a beautiful summer Sunday we had today! The weather was just perfect - warm, sunny, lovely. Yesterday was sort of a wash from a food perspective - not much to report, other than the delicious blueberry strawberry whole wheat pancakes I made for brunch after a 6 mile run. My 10K in Milton is on Tuesday and I have to get ready!

This morning I had my usual bowl of oats, containing 1/2 cup oats, 1 sliced banana, a sprinkle of brown sugar, golden raisins, and 1 chopped white nectarine.

Then I headed over to my Sunday morning yoga class, which happens to be right next to the South End Open Market. After class I stopped by the market to buy a baguette, and ended up buying my lunch as well.

I ate this delicious, buttery apple and almond square with a glass of pomegranate lemonade and this strawberry yogurt I was curious to try.


I don't usually buy any individual flavored yogurt. Too much packaging buying them individually, and they are usually FULL of sugar. Just because it says "light and fit" does not mean its good for you! But this yogurt has no added sugar, and has whole grains in it. I thought that sounded so odd, I had to give it a try. It was quite good - there were little chewy bits of oats mixed with the pureed strawberries, and the yogurt was nice and tart. I won't be buying this regularly, but it was a nice little treat.

Derek had a big bike race today, and when he came home he wanted to watch more cycling - the Daulphine Libre race in France was on TV. So I fixed us a lovely french snack.

Sliced baguette with boucheron, great hill blue cheese, manchego, and gruyere, along with fig and ginger jam and olives. I also sipped a glass of French chardonnay while I made cookies. Yes, more cookies. These were a bit of an experiment inspired by this week's breakfast cookies.


Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 2 dozen
1 cup oats
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 ripe mashed bananas
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup milk (I used whole milk, but you could use soy or almond milk for vegan cookies)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cups cocoa nibs
  • Preheat oven to 350ยบ
  • Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a large bowl
  • In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix mashed banana, maple syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla
  • Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined
  • Stir in cocoa nibs
  • Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls and space on baking sheet about 2 inches apart
  • Using floured fork, press balls to flatten in criss-cross
  • Bake 12-15 minutes until crisped on outside
  • Cool completely on wire racks
This recipe is still a work in progress - I think the batter could have used more milk, or some oil.  But I was trying make these as healthy as I could!  They're still a tasty treat.

For dinner I made Molly Wizenberg's Creme Fraiche Salmon and added some snipped chives over the top. The creme fraiche kept the wild salmon very moist and the chives from my herb garden were delicious.

I served the salmon with stir fried baby bok choy and napa cabbage tossed with a little sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment