Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Frittered

I tried to make dinner for 1 last night. I really did. I decided to make a batch of fritters from fresh corn and zucchini. I used 1 ear of corn and 1 medium zucchini, figuring if this was going to be my whole meal that didn't sound like too much of a base. But when all mixed and cooked, it was most definitely a meal for two. Oh well, I'll have leftovers.

I started by shredding the zucchini and mixing it with the corn cut off the cob.

Then I stirred in 1 egg and flour and fried the fritters in a little bit of olive oil.


I made 6 in total. I guess I could have eaten them all if I really wanted to - but I'd rather save them for another day and not stuff myself. I served the green fritters with green soup - the rest of my chilled cucumber soup.

I made a sauce for the fritters of yogurt, creme fresh, lemon juice, and chives.


Yes, this meal is very green. And very local! All the dairy in the soup and sauce is from Vermont, and the cucumbers, corn and zucchini are from our local CSA farm. And the mint and chives came right from my patio!

Zucchini Corn Fritters
serves 2 (or 1 with leftovers)
1 ear of corn, kernels cut from cob
1 medium zucchini
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
  • Shred zucchini on the large holes of a box grater.  Dump shredded zucchini into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out any excess moisture
  • Mix zucchini with corn in a medium bowl.  Mix in beaten egg, flour, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir until just combined
  • Heat about 1 Tbls of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Drop fritters into pan by the heaping tablespoonful.  Cook until golden on bottom, flip and cook until golden on the other side.  Drain on paper towels, and serve warm

2 comments:

  1. i'm loving this corn-zucchini combo right now, so i need to make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fritters! Local produce really does tastes better :).

    ReplyDelete