Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin

We've been getting lots of eggplant in our CSA lately - and lots of different varieties. Last week we had a long, dark, skinny one and a paler round that I think is called "Rosa Bianca." Its awfully pretty so this name would suit it.

I roasted them both in a 400º oven for about 30 minutes. The skinny eggplant I halved lengthwise and sliced in 1" pieces. This would be added to ratatouille later in the week. The Rosa Bianca I thinly sliced for...

Eggplant Rollatini
1 medium round eggplant
olive oil
salt & pepper
2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
6 basil leaves, thinly sliced

Thinly slice eggplant, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and brush both sides with olive oil. Roast in 400º oven for about 30 minutes, flipping half way through, until cooked and lightly browned. Reduce oven to 350º.

For my sauce, I sauteed garlic and onions and then added some roasted red peppers.


These were simmered with a can of crushed tomatoes.

Mix ricotta, egg, half the parmesan, and basil in a medium bowl.

Spread a little bit of the sauce in the bottom of a glass baking dish, just to coat it.

Then spoon about 1 tablespoon of ricotta mixture onto an eggplant slice and roll the eggplant around the cheese.

Place eggplant roll in baking dish.

Continue rolling eggplant with ricotta until dish is full. Top with remaining tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Bake in 350º oven for about 20 minutes until warmed through and bubbly.

I served the eggplant with some of my potato gnocchi that were stored in the freezer and more tomato sauce.

I think I'm seeing red.

No comments:

Post a Comment