Friday, February 27, 2009

Working for the Weekend

So happy its the weekend! I'm really going to enjoy a couple days off. Well, mostly off. I'm sure I'll be doing work over the next 2 days.

So, I did not get to eat my orange this afternoon! I had to run out of the office early to deal with a work firedrill so I didn't have a chance to eat it. After I finished running around the city, I made it to the grocery store. I was starving by then! I meant to take some photos of my loot but in my hungry haze I was in too much of a rush to get dinner going.

I munched on a dried mango slice and a few roasted almonds while I cooked. I was totally craving healthy veg, so I made a roasted vegetable gratin.

These are the vegetables after roasting.


And then the assembled cooked gratin.


Roasted Vegetable Gratin

2 small sweet potatoes, cubed
1 fennel bulb, halved and thickly sliced
1 lb brussel sprouts, halved
1 red pepper, sliced
2 tbsp EVOO
salt & pepper
1 cup drained & rinsed canned chickpeas
1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
6 oz. chopped fresh mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • Preheat oven to 450º
  • Toss vegetables with EVOO and salt & pepper
  • Spread fennel and sweet potatoes on one baking sheet, and brussel sprouts and red peppers on a second baking sheet
  • Roast vegetables for 20 - 25 minutes until caramelized, tossing vegetables and rotating pans in oven half way through
  • Oil a 2 QT gratin dish
  • Spread sweet potatoes and fennel in bottom of dish, then toss with half of chickpeas and half of chopped thyme
  • Sprinkle layer with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan
  • Spread brussel sprouts and red peppers over cheese, then cover with remainder of chickpeas and thyme
  • Sprinkle top of gratin with remaining mozzarella, bread crumbs, and remaining Parmesan
  • Reduce oven to 400º and bake gratin for 15 - 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
I completely made this dish up, and it totally hit the spot!  This should have served 4, but we ended up eating 2/3 of it.  The boy will eat the last serving while I'm away next week.  I had a glass of chardonnay while cooking and with dinner. Derek and I have been experimenting with our cameras, to figure out the best way to photograph my food.  Here's one I took...



and here's his...



I think his is better.  He's definitely a better photographer than me.  After washing the dishes I had a piece of Taza chocolate while I finished off my wine.  Now we're watching the season finale of Top Chef!  We're in a pool, so we've got money riding on this.  Derek picked Hosea and I have Stefan (I had to pick him cause he's Finnish like me!).  I can't think of a better way to spend a Friday night...

1 comment: