Monday, May 4, 2009

I'm a Green Monster!

Happy Monday! So far, today has been very GREEN (my favorite color). I started the day with my first Green Monster.

Its definitely green! This is made with:

3/4 cup raw almond milk
1 sliced banana
1 large handful chopped kale
4 -5 frozen mixed berries
1 tsp ground flax meal
I gotta say, this was really tasty. I couldn't taste the kale at all - it just tasted like a banana smoothie. This is a great way to get more greens into my diet. And kale is totally a superfood. Its packed with beta-carotene, Vitamins A, C, K, and B6, as well as Iron, Manganese, Calcium, and Potassium. It even has some protein! You can't get much better than that.

I have this great little thermos with a straw that I transport my smoothies in.

So when everyone else is drinking their coffee on the T, I'm sipping on some green juice.

This monster held me over until 11AM, when I had my 1/2 cup oats with fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.

My lunch today was black eyed pea salad, with some spinach added. You will be seeing a lot of black eyed peas - I have about a months worth of them cooked from this weekend.

I also added another green superfood to this salad - dulse flakes.  

These are a sea vegetable that are full of Iron, Potassium, Iodine, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin, and Fiber. They didn't really taste like anything in my salad - just added a bit of a salty flavor.

I had half a dried pineapple slice for dessert.

In other green news - I read this great article in Bon Appetit a few months ago with tips on how to eat green - obviously an important issue to me. Some of my favorites on this list include:

1. Eat More Chocolate (of course!)
9. Cook More Often
22. Join a CSA (our CSA starts in June and I can't wait)

Check it out and see if you can incorporate more of these green eating habits into your life!

50 Ways to Eat Green

1 comment:

  1. That smoothie seems interesting (in a good way). I've started putting a lot of flax seed into my diet for the past couple months.

    I'm intrigued by the Dulse Flakes.

    ReplyDelete