Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back at the Beach

Yay for Saturday! It was so nice to sleep in this morning. When we finally rolled out of bed, we started on the task of putting the pantry back together. It was a good opportunity to re-organize and get rid of some old stuff (like some chicken bouillon Derek had that expired in 1999). Once we cleared out the kitchen, I set to making breakfast. I heated up 2 of my cousin's delicious scones in the toaster oven. I also scrambled eggs with sliced smoked salmon, a little cream cheese, and spinach.

After breakfast I finally went for a run on the river. I was surprised that there weren't many people out. I guess all the marathoners are resting up for Monday. For lunch, I decided to give myself a little sampling of Raw Week and made an all-raw salad.

This had spinach, carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, 1 sliced apple, a handful of raw cashews, and a dressing with grated ginger, apple cider vinegar and EVOO. A couple things I observed about raw food while eating this meal. First, it takes a lot longer to eat! Having to crunch and munch all those hard veggies definitely slows you down. Which I think is a good thing - generally I think most people (myself included) eat too fast. Eating too fast makes food harder to digest, and you can eat too much before your body sends the signal to your brain that your full. But, all that crunching and munching I think my irritate my jaw. I have tight jaw issues, and a lot of chewing sometimes bothers it. So, we'll see how I do next week - hopefully I just get used to it.

After lunch, we packed up our car and headed to the Cape! My family has a house down here and it is my absolute favorite place in the world. Its especially nice off season when its really quiet. This is the first time we've been down this year. The last time we were here was for Thanksgiving - when we got engaged!

This is right after the proposal on the beach with our friend Charlies the seagull. Charlie has been hanging out at our house for the past 3 years - he has one white eye and one black so we recognize him. We feed him well, so he always comes back.

My mother and I just got back from a nice walk on the beach. Here's our cute little cottage, right on the water.
And our beautiful view!
My dad is cooking up some paella right now. We will definitely eat well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment