This is great workout fuel, and really tasty. After properly hydrating, I put on my running skirt and sunblock and went for a 4.5 mile jog. It was hot for running! I'm not used to running in the heat yet. But I'm looking forward to more heat to get used to. After my run, I fixed myself a late lunch.
Half a bagel with wasabi goat cheese, smoked salmon, and cucumbers and a salad with mixed greens, more cucumbers, radishes, grapes, and balsamic vinaigrette.
After lunch I went out to pick up some groceries and decided the hot weather was a good excuse for a frozen treat. I got myself a small cup of peanut butter fudge frozen yogurt.
There are few better matches in this world than peanut butter and chocolate. After the groceries, I decided to bake a batch of my cousin Robin's scones. I added some orange zest and dried cherries to the basic scone recipe - you can mix it whatever flavorings you like. This recipe was a special request from my incredibly supportive dentist :)
Robin's Cream Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1 well beaten egg mixed with 1 Tbls of heavy cream
- Preheat oven 375º
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, beat together egg, vanilla, and cream
- Cut butter into small pieces and cut into flour mixture with pastry cutter or fork
- Sit cream mixture into flour mixture, then stir in orange zest and cranberries
- Use to squeeze batter together until it becomes crumbly and holds together
- Knead dough several times on lightly floured surface
- Pat into a circle about 7 inches across and 1 1/2 inches thick
- Cut dough into 8 wedges and place wedges on baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat
- Brush wedges with glaze
- Bake for about 15 minutes until scones are golden on top
- Cool slightly on baking sheet than transfer to rack to cool
Can't wait to try these with breakfast tomorrow! Tonight for dinner we're actually going back to Delux. Derek's parents are coming into the city to deliver our patio furniture that was stored at their house for the winter. So, we're taking them out for dinner at our favorite place!