Saturday, April 11, 2009

Crabby

Good morning! Its cool and dreary outside and I'm gearing up for a Saturday of cooking. It was so nice to have yesterday afternoon off and get a head start on my weekend. I came home to find some daffodils in full bloom in the little patch of land on our patio. Spring has sprung!



I also have some hearty chives growing in my little herb garden. Because he was home too, I talked the Fiance into taking me out to lunch at Aquitaine. I had a delicious Nicoise salad with seared tuna.

I also stole a couple of Derek's frites. After lunch, I got my grocery shopping out of the way so I could spend all day today in the kitchen. I stopped by Morse Fish and this time they had some fresh picked lump crabmeat, so I could finally make crab cakes! Before that, I went for a run because it was another gorgeous day outside. I was excited to run in the sun along the river, but once I got out there I did not feel great. I think I ran too soon after lunch, because I just felt heavy and slow. And my Runkeeper application screwed up on me, because it said I ran 30 miles. Um, no. I ran about 3. And I ran them slow. Coming home to make crab cakes with remoulade made me feel much better. 

Crab Cakes
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp chopped red bell pepper
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp tabasco
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1 lb fresh crabmeat, picked clean
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • In food processor, combine egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, bell pepper, onion, parsley, tabasco, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.  Pulse until vegetables are minced and ingredients combined.
  • With motor running, slowly pour in oil and process until a thin mayo forms.
  • Add sour cream to a large bowl, then fold in mayo.
  • Add crab to bowl and stir to combine.
  • Fold in bread crumbs and stir until combined.
  • Form crab mixture into 10 patties, and set on greased baking sheet.
  • Chill patties for about 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 400ยบ
  • Bake crab cakes for about 15 - 20 minutes, turning half way through, until golden brown on each side.
  • Serve with remoulade.
Remoulade is a tangy, garlicky Creole sauce that's very good with seafood.  My parents picked up this recipe years ago when the were visiting New Orleans and took a Cajun cooking class. This makes about 2 cups of sauce, so I cut the recipe in half this time.

Remoulade Sauce
1 medium onion
1 bunch celery
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup parsley
1 Tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup creole mustard (I usually use dijon)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
4 shakes tabasco
3/4 cup oil
  • Combine all ingredients in food processor except oil.  Process until everything is finely chopped and combined.
  • With motor running, slowly pour in oil and process until it forms a thick sauce
  • Transfer to container and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to meld flavors.
The sauce is really easy and very tasty.  I can't eat crab cakes without it.  It als stores well in the freezer.

For our dinner, I served the crab cakes and remoulade with roasted brussel sprouts, and the last of the carrot mac and cheese.

After dinner we met up with friends at Delux for a few drinks ( I had several large glasses of wine) and then I slept surprisingly late this morning - until almost 10AM! Pancakes were definitely in order.

I added bananas and blueberries to my whole wheat pancakes and served them with spiced vanilla butter and maple syrup.

Now I'm ready to start my day of cooking! My mother is hosting Easter brunch tomorrow, and I've volunteered several dishes that I need to get going on. My favorite way to spend a Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment