Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sconehenge

Last night we had another nice dinner at Delux with Derek's parent's. We talk about going there all the time, so they were interested in checking out our local haunt. Derek's father is a very, er, particular eater, so I was a little concerned he might not find anything he wanted to eat. He was won over right away when he saw that they had chocolate cream pie for dessert. And enjoyed his roasted chicken and mashed potatoes, which was lucky for all of us. I had the current fish entree for the first time.

Pan seared merluzza with roasted potatoes with paprika and green onions. I added a side of sauteed asparagus because it didn't come with any greens. And of course, we had to have the chocolate cream pie.

I'm always trying to come up with desserts to bring to Derek's family functions. Now I know chocolate cream pie would be a hit!

I sent Derek's parents home with a few of my orange cherry scones. My junior year of college, I spent a semester studying in London. It was one of the most fun times of my life, and some of the girls I met there are still my closest friends. During the semester, we travelled around England and Europe whenever we could. Of course we had to take a trip to see Stonehenge. What I remember most about that excursion is not the impressiveness of the structures and history, but the amazing scones they served at a little tea shop at the site. They were both light and dense, with the perfect crumb and a subtle sweetness. I now fondly remember that historic monument as "Sconehenge."

Robin's scones are not quite Sconehenge level, but they come pretty close. I love the addition of the orange zest and tart dried cranberries, although I've still liked them better when Robin's made them. She's been making them for many years, so she must have perfected how to handle the dough. Mine came out a little denser than her's.

I served the scones this morning with a portobello mushroom, chive, and gruyere frittata.

Now that we have our patio furniture back, we can dine alfresco!

I'm about to head off to a yoga class. Enjoy this lovely Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment