Monday, April 27, 2009

Back to the Grind

Is it Friday yet? Seriously? Its not? I started this lovely Monday with a rather unattractive smoothie.
This had skim milk, nonfat plain yogurt, 1 banana, frozen mango and pineapple, chia seeds, and hemp protein powder (the cause of the unattractive color). I sipped this on the way to work and its was sooo thick that by the time I got to the office I had to finish it with a spoon. I'm liking smoothies to start off the day recently. I get something in my stomach earlier than I normally do, and they keep me full for hours. This kept me going until 11AM when I had my oats.

1/2 cup COOKED oats with berries. This then kept me full for so long that I didn't eat lunch until almost 3PM.


A salad with beets, grapes, walnuts, wasabi goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar and EVOO. I'm just pushing my whole eating schedule back. Which kind of makes sense since we don't usually eat dinner until almost 8:30PM.

I still had a snack late in the afternoon.

I really like this flavor of Larabar. I want to try making these at home sometime - they're basically the same as the raw desserts I was making last week.

For dinner I made...


Crabmeat Stuffed Zucchini and Orange Mash
serves 2
1 large zucchini
EVOO
1/3 lb jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbls dijon mustard
2 Tbls chopped parsley
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 grated gruyere cheese
  • Preheat oven to 350ยบ
  • Trim ends of zucchini and slice in half horizontally
  • With a sharp spoon or melon baller, scoop out seeds and inner flesh of zucchini, leaving about a 1/4 shell
  • Brush a medium baking dish with EVOO, then brush outside of zucchini with oil
  • Mix together crabmeat, egg, mustard, parsley, old bay, and bread crumbs in medium bowl
  • Scoop crab mixture into zucchini, then sprinkle with grated cheese
  • Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, until zucchini is tender
  • Serve with Orange Mash

Orange Mash
serves 6
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
2 large garnet yams, peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
2 Tbls chopped cilantro
1 Tbls grated ginger
1/2 Tbls unsalted butter
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
  • Cook carrots and yams in a large part of boiling water until tender, about 20 - 25 minutes
  • Drain vegetables and transfer to food processor
  • Add cilantro, ginger, butter, and salt and pepper
  • Process until smooth
  • Add sour cream and process until combined
A yummy and colorful dinner!  I love the addition of the ginger to the orange veggies.  I'm about to continue that theme with a gingersnap sorbet sandwich...
s

1 comment:

  1. this dinner looks amazing. When do I get to come over and try it out in person..??

    ReplyDelete