Thursday, April 16, 2009

Going Raw

Dinner last night was pretty uninspired - just leftovers. But I do have an exciting announcement to make! But first - I got in some good cross training at the gym last night. I did 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 5 minutes on the stair master (man, this is hard!), and 20 minutes on the Precor. The Precor was this new, super bouncy elliptical. It was fun to mix it up and try all these different machines. At first I thought I wasn't getting a great workout, but by the end my legs were feeling a little jelly-like and I definitely worked up a sweat! It was great to work different muscles that I don't normally use in my cardio exercise. I was going to try the bike instead of the elliptical - but I didn't know how to use it and it scared me. Maybe next time I'll have the guts to ask someone.

So I whipped up a quick and easy dinner when I got home.

Roasted asparagus with grated parmesan cheese and a slice of mushroom quiche. I love the earthy flavor in this quiche. And of course the all butter crust is the best part :)

After dinner Derek and I each had a mini PB&J cupcakes while we watched Lost.

I can't believe we haven't eaten all these yet! This morning I had my weird science experiment oatmeal.

Now for my big announcement. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of a raw food diet lately, and have a close friend who has recently had to try raw foods as the result of a health issue. I'm really interested in the effects it can have on your body and how you feel. Its amazing the amounts of nutrients you lose in food by cooking it at high temperatures, and it makes so much sense to me to eat foods that have living, active enzymes and not food that is scorched and dead.  And eating whole, fresh fruits and vegetables definitely is in line with my food philosophy of eating farm to table unprocessed foods.  So, I've decided to officially declare next week RAW WEEK! Starting Monday, I'm going to eat only raw, living foods for 5 days. I'm setting that as my minimum, but I may extend it through the weekend if I'm feeling good. My friend Liz's birthday is on Monday, so I'm trying to convince her to kick off her 27th year with a raw week. She's not too excited about giving up cheese, but I think I can get her to give it a shot. I bought both of us copies of this great book -

There's some really yummy sounding recipes in here. I'm definitely going to need to stock up on some raw staples, and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm so excited about this! I think it will be a great little experiment. And of course I will keep you all posted on what I'm eating and how I'm feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment