Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hello, my name is Gretchen, and I eat donuts

I wanted to deny it. I wanted to pretend it didn't happen. But I just couldn't do that to my loyal blog followers (all 3 of you). Even though it is the exact opposite of my food beliefs, this morning I ate a donut. Ok, half a donut. I ran into a coworker on the elevator carrying 2 big boxes of donuts. She handed me one and said she got them as a thank you for all the hard work my team had put in on a challenging project. So I couldn't not accept it! I know I didn't have to eat one but I hadn't eaten anything yet and was hungry and they looked so good. I had half a chocolate glazed. And it was good.

Then I immediately got a headache and felt kind of ill. This is not the breakfast of champions. Luckily, I did have a real breakfast ready to go. A delicious bowl of oatgurt!

I cooked 1/2 cup of oats in the microwave for 3 minutes with 3/4 cup of water, adding a sliced banana in the last minute. Then I stirred in 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt and 5 sliced strawberries, with a little agave nectar. It was sooo good and creamy and filling. Much better than the donut. Although I still don't regret that.

After breakfast I dove into another crazy day - this one was particularly stressful. Yuck. I wolfed down my lunch at my desk between meetings and phone calls.

Finally my avocado was perfectly ripe! This wrap had 3 slices of that avocado and the usual - tofu, cabbage, peppers, pickled onions, pea shoots. The avocado really makes this wrap. So yummy and keeps it from being too dry.

Late in the afternoon I had my snack.

I finally ate the apple in desk, along with 5 slices of Cabot 50% light cheddar.

In my stressed madness I was really klutzy today. At some point - without even noticing it - I banged my aluminum water bottle and dented the bottom. Then, I dropped my glass food container in the sink when I was washing it and cracked it. I'm so bummed about that! I like to use glass to transport my food because it doesn't leach those nasty chemicals that are in plastic - especially when I'm putting it in the microwave. But I only have one of these glass containers cause they are not cheap. Now I have to buy a new one! Doh!

I did manage to get to the gym today, and running definitely helped with my stress a bit. A bit. I did my strength training early this morning, and only had to crank out 2 miles on the treadmill. I did it in 19 minutes and then bolted home to make dinner. Which was pretty similar to last night, except this time I used real pasta instead of spaghetti squash.


I sauteed shrimp, zucchini, snowpeas and sugar snap peas with some herbs de provence, then stirred in the last of my tomato sauce. All this went over fresh fettuccine. Good, hearty meal. Although I can't say I necessarily likde it better than the spaghetti squash! I also had a glass of white wine, and just ate a piece of dark chocolate.

Boy, am I glad that tomorrow is Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment